De Villiers backs CSA’s decision to launch T20 league

South African superstar AB De Villiers has become the first big player to openly show his support for the South Africa’s new T20 competition, which is set to begin in the last quarter of 2017.

“I am so excited about it. It’s going to be great. Lots of credit to Cricket South Africa for coming up with that. It’s vital for our cricket. It will motivate some of the youngsters to stick around, to fight it through and to play for South Africa,” de Villiers said.

“The domestic tournament is going to do wonders for our cricket and I think it can definitely come up [sic] an IPL when it comes to entertainment and quality of cricket. With some of the names that I have heard who are interested in coming over, it’s going to be fantastic.”

De Villiers also said the contribution of foreign players will be vital for the success of the event, and that he is hopeful South Africa will attract big names from all over the world.

“I think there are quite a few countries already available. I am not sure about India. I haven’t heard anything from them yet,” he said.

The competition will be similar to other major lucrative t20 tournaments around the world (such as IPL, BBL, and PSL) with each franchise privately owned, and will be the South Africa’s version of the T20 league.

Quick Read: Inzamam targets building a team for 2019 World Cup

While the exact dates of the competition are still unclear, it is expected that it will happen in the November-December month. The dates of the inaugural event may depend on the India’s visit for a four Tests, five ODI’s and three T20’s, which is scheduled for the 2017-18 summer.

After presenting their Idea to the ICC earlier this week, CSA on Saturday (February 4) put out a tender notice inviting bids for eight T20 teams that will make up its new venture.

“Our vision is to drive the creation of a new #T20 destination league in South Africa that would energise the sport of cricket in South Africa by creating a global platform for the best-in-class to perform and showcase their talent to a global audience,” Chris Nenzani, CSA president said.

“We have received a very favourable response to our plans from the ICC and member boards and look to their support in our endeavour,

“We now look forward to another exciting chapter in the evolution of South African cricket and to the whole game benefitting from our new #T20 Global League.”

 Haroon Lorgat, Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) chief executive, admitted the Kolpak agreement was the major consideration in their plans to launch own flagship T20 tournament.

“Yes I must say that when we conceptualised a franchise-based T20 league the Kolpak was a major consideration. Obviously, you want to give opportunity to the South African players to grow and also make a career out of cricket.”

Read: Misbah suggests domestic overhaul for change in results


Featured Photo Credit:

You Might Also Like:

Share