Proteas star AB de Villiers is set to meet with Cricket South Africa (CSA) in August to take ‘final decision’ on his international future after opting to leave his side ahead of the upcoming Test series against England.
Rated as one of the outstanding batsmen of his generation, the 33-year-old said both parties are going to “make a final decision about what happens for the next few years.”
“I am going to meet with CSA (Cricket South Africa) in August, and that will decide my (international) future,” de Villiers told reporters.
“We will see what works for both parties.
“We are not going to pick and choose games, but we are going to make a final decision about what happens for the next few years.”
Exclusive: Afghanistan, Ireland given Test status
De Villiers was speaking in Cardiff after leading the Proteas to a 19-run defeat at the hands of England on Sunday (June 25) that also saw them lose the three-match T20 series 2-1. He also captained South Africa in the recently concluded ICC Champions Trophy 2017 where his side suffered a hugely disappointing first-round crashing, after having previously lost the ODI series against England 2-1.
Earlier, De Villiers cited the need to manage his workload to keep himself fit for the upcoming 2019 World Cup after he was ruled out of the last year’s Australia tour. However, he planned to return to the elite format in September this year, when Bangladesh is scheduled to tour his country.
“I am going to spend a bit of time off at home with the family, I’m going to welcome my new youngster into the world, and obviously look to stay fit,” de Villiers said when asked about his plans for the next couple of months.
“I want to make sure I am ready for September, when Bangladesh come.”
Cricket Closet: Buy quality cricket shoes online in Pakistan
He once again reiterated his wish to help South Africa win a maiden World Cup title, but said it was dependant on how the meeting with the board went.
“It’s my main dream to win a World Cup for South Africa, or to be part of it in one way or another… I don’t even think it’s in my hands, what is going to happen. I will wait until the final decision on the coach and things like that are made. Then I can also have a chat to CSA, to see where I am going to fit in.”