Irfan, Shahzaib called up in alleged PSL corruption investigation

Mohammad_Irfan

Pakistan pace bowler Mohammad Irfan and batsman Shahzaib Hassan have been once again questioned by the PCB in relation to their alleged involvement in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) corruption scandal, a PCB official has confirmed. Both players were summoned by the PCB anti-corruption unit in Dubai last month but were given permission to continue playing the tournament.

“PCB has initiated the investigation from the lead left in Dubai,” A spokesman said to reporters at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. “It has started with both [Shahzaib and Irfan] being issued a demand note and by that both are bound to share all the information with PCB anti-corruption unit.

“Irfan has been summoned to appear on Monday while Shahzaib has been asked to appear on Tuesday. PCB anti-corruption unit will assess their evidence and information and will determine whether to charge them or not.”

Irfan is not included in the 31 players named by the PCB to participate in the training camp ahead of the series against West Indies, while Shahzaib last played for Pakistan in 2010.

Quick Read: Aussie ruled out of Test series with fracture

Previously, the PCB has also suspended two Islamabad United players, Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif, under its Anti-Corruption Code as a part of an ongoing investigation. A three-member tribunal has been set up to hear their cases next week in Lahore. Nasir Jamshed, who has represented Pakistan in 2 Tests, 48 ODI’s and 18 T20 Internationals, was also barred from taking part in any cricket activity by the PCB last month.

Shahryar Khan, the chairman PCB, has suggested extreme punishments for players who were involved in the attempts to corrupt Pakistan Super League (PSL).

“We took action as soon as we had sufficient evidence. The two boys that were sent back to Pakistan took the same flight as I did and I told them how disappointed I was with their actions. The PCB does not take such scandals lightly.” Khan said.

“I want to make it clear that the PCB wants deterrent punishments for anyone who is really guilty. Players should not think that they will be able to pursue their cricketing careers till four or five years after they have been punished,

“Once the investigation has been finalised, a disciplinary committee will be formed, headed by a senior judge. The committee will then hear what each of the accused has to say before deciding upon a punishment for them.”

Read: AB de Villiers becomes the No.1 ODI batsman

You Might Also Like:

Share