Shashank Manohar to stay on till completion of ICC resolution

Shashank Manohar, ICC
Shashank Manohar to continue in his role as ICC chairman untill June 2017 (Image Credit: ESPNCricinfo)

Shashank Manohar has agreed to stay in his role as the chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) till the process of reforms to the governance and financial model is completed. Manohar will continue to perform his duties until the ICC’s annual conference in June later this year, the cricket governing body has confirmed on Friday (March 24).

“ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar has today agreed to defer his recent resignation following an ICC Board resolution to request him to remain in post was passed with overwhelming support earlier this week. In a significant show of support for Mr. Manohar the Board asked him to withdraw his resignation or at the very least defer it until the ongoing process relating to governance and financial restructuring are completed,” an ICC media release said.

Quick Read: Misbah, Hafeez call for lifetime ban on players involved in PSL corruption scandal

Previously, Manohar had tendered his resignation in a letter to the ICC chief executive David Richardson, citing ‘personal reasons’ for his withdrawal, leaving But an ICC board resolution earlier this week convinced him to defer his resignation till the completion of ICC resolution.

“I respect the sentiments expressed by the Directors and the confidence they have reposed in me. In the light of this, and although my decision to depart due to personal reasons has not changed, I am willing to continue as Chairman till the responsibility as per the resolution is complete,” Manohar said in an ICC release.

“I have a duty to work with my colleagues to enable a smooth transition and continue our work on the governance of the ICC.”

Manohar was elected as the first independent chairman of ICC in May 2016, and since then had played a pivotal role in coming up with a new ICC revenue sharing model, which was agreed upon by the majority of cricket boards. But a final decision on that matter will be taken at the ICC board meeting, which is scheduled for April this year.

Cricket Australia Chairman David Peever said: “This resolution is a clear indication that whilst the Board may not yet agree on the detail of our reform process, we are committed to the overarching philosophies of it. We all believe that Shashank should be the man to see it through and whilst respectful of a decision made for personal reasons, we are delighted that he has agreed to remain in post until the completion of the 2017 Annual Conference where we can elect a successor.”

Giles Clark, the ECB president, was also pleased with Manohar returning to his office.

“I am very pleased that the team effort has convinced Shashank about how important it is he leads through these discussions to take us to the new constitution, new Full Members and respecting the rights of all Full Members. It has been a great collegiate effort.” he said

Read: Handscomb, Marsh fashion Australia’s great escape in Ranchi 


 

Share